The ups and downs of football-Mike Marsh

Michael Marsh was born in Kirkby, Liverpool in July 1969. Like most young lads he liked playing football and in 1987 he was spotted playing by the then Liverpool reserve team coach Phil Thompson who suggested to then Manager Kenny Daglish to sign him.

     It took two years to force his way into the first team and on 1st March 1989 he came on as substitute for Liverpool legend Jan Molby against Charlton Athletic at Anfield; a dream came true for the hometown boy!



He was in and out of the side until 1991 when he became part of the first eleven, the same year he scored his first goal for the club and what an important goal it was. Liverpool were 2-0 down from the 1st leg of a European tie against French side Auxerre and his goal levelled the game at 2-2 after half an hour. They went on to win 3-2 at a great European night at Anfield.

In 1993 he was sold to West Ham United, he wasn't part of Graeme Souness' plans and was part exchange for Julian Dicks. He scored twice in just over sixty appearances for the East London club before he was on the move again, this time to Coventry City but his time there was even shorter! 

Graeme Souness, who had taken over at Turkish side Galatasaray wanted the man he sold to West Ham and got him. Marsh played three times in three months before returning to Britain to sign for Southend United; Ronnie Whelan was an ex team mate and Marsh felt it was the right move. He had three good seasons at the Essex club but they were to be his last as a professional footballer; a serious knee injury ended his playing career.

  Marsh is like most footballers; they just want to play football and you can't keep a good man down! He went into non league football and spent a few months with Barrow and Southport respectvely before signing for Jan Molby's Kidderminster Harriors. The Liverpool connection once again working. Molby was aiming for League status and signing Marsh showed the club's intention.

   Kidderminster Harriors were promoted which was great news for everyone except Marsh; he'd had an insurance pay out which meant he couldn't go on with the club. The bitter sweet side of football.

Marsh joined three other non league clubs before finally hanging up his boots in 2003.


He took on the job as Manager of Burscough, a non league side. It made sense as he knew the non league very well. He coached at a few non league sides until in 2011 Liverpool offered him a job coaching the under eighteen side.

   At the start of this season he's been promoted to first team coach along side Brendan Rodgers.

   Some people might say that Mike Marsh has been unlucky in football; I would have to disagree! 

It's every schoolboy's dream to play for his hometown club and that he has done; now he can give back by coaching the players that wear the red top of one of the most famous football clubs in the world!

  Mike Marsh has never given up his dream and I wish him the very best for the rest of his career!